Friday, July 18, 2008

My Mom

It always makes me sad when I hear stories of people who, after 10 years of not speaking, are just "reconnecting" with their mom. For me, that's something I can't even fathom. I don't think there has been a time when I haven't talked to my mom at least once a day, usually more than that. I actually want to be just like my mom. Super strong, this woman can do anything! Raise 3 crazy girls on her own, homeschool us, make our baby food when we were younger, grow a garden AND make her own pesticides, was a La Leche League Leader for years, stayed at home to raise us, then taught at the school we were going to. I always knew that my mom was a great friend, but after I had my son and became a mother myself, it was then that I really realized how influential my mom has become to me. I strive to be like her. I am reading the same books that she read while raising us. I am questioning authority and my pediatrician. I am a breastfeeding snob. I sing the same songs to Owen that she sang to us. I want to live the life that my mom wanted us to have when she raised us. (Yes, overly emotional me is shedding a few tears as I write this.)
I can't imagine not having my mom around. I've already talked to her twice this morning, and sent her an email. It's only 8:30.
How do you repay a woman who has molded your perfect life into what it's become? How do you say thank you to the one person who taught you to breastfeed? How do you say thank you to the woman who stood by you in the delivery room (all 22 hours of it), cut the umbilical cord of your first born, and then proceeded to tell you everything was going to be okay on DAY 4, when you're a hormonal, emotional, engorged mess?
Thank you, Mom. For everything you have done and for everything you will continue to do. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AJ, you stop that. I am now sobbing at work and you know I don't like to have people notice me. That aside, I am the lucky one who has had the wonderful fortune of raising 3 beautiful daughters. And I find such joy in watching you fashion your parenting after my own style. You make me proud to be a Mom, Erin, and I am proud to say that you and your sisters are my best friends. You and I have a special bond in part because you were the first "blood-related family" I had known. Very special. I love cooking with you, discussing books with you, sharing stories with you. But please, Erin, you know I snoozed on the cot for a portion of your labor - I have to own up to that. I am honored to be your mother, Erin. I love you more than words can express. My firstborn.